RE: Convert UTF-8 to PHP defines

On Thu, 2010-05-27 at 15:28 -0400, Bob McConnell wrote:

> From: tedd
>
> > The Unicode database uses the same lower
> > character values (i.e., "code points") as does
> > ASCII, namely 0-127, and thus UFT-8 (8-bit
> > variable width encoding) is really a super-set
> > which includes the sub-set of ASCII.
> >
> > The "Wingdings" font that Ash refers to is the
> > really the "Dingbat" char set in Unicode, as
> > shown here:
> >
> > The use of UFT-8 encoding in everything (web and
> > php) should present much less problems globally
> > than it is trying to fight it.
>
> Thanks tedd,
>
> The real question is whether unicode is even relevant now that the UTF
> series is available. I see no reason to have to deal with two competing
> "specifications", when one of them is more than adequate for the job and
> the other is not even finished yet. That's like the old days when a few
> users demanded we support both ASCII and EBCDIC. That didn't get very
> far either.
>
> Bob McConnell

Bob, UTF is unicode (Unicode Transformation Format)

Interesting enough to note, and not sure if Tedd knows this or not (he
probably does!) but Chrome has a nice feature for those punycode URLs;
it suggests the actual real URL instead once you type the domain in. Not
sure about Safari right now, couldn't be bothered to fire up a VM just
to check. I would assume Firefox handles these URLs well enough too.

Tedd, does that URL actually go anywhere, as I got nothing when I tried
visiting it, both the actual URL and the punycode version.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk