Re: Multiple Login in a single PC should not be possible

On Sat, 2010-05-15 at 08:18 +0100, Lester Caine wrote:

> Jagdeep Singh wrote:
> > How can I define "Machine"?
>
> That IS the problem. As with a lot of this stuff - nothing was ever actually
> DESIGNED to work :( So $_SERVER["REMOTE_ADDR"] will block multiple machines if
> they are sharing the one connection. I've been lucky so far in that
> 'REMOTE_ADDR' CAN be resolved to a machine in my own case.
>
> This like 'tzoffset' is an area where the simplest basic functions actually need
> to be fixed. If you are working cross timezones have you considered the problem
> of knowing the right time where daylight saving is important. My users have to
> set their correct daylight saving zone in their profile. 'tzoffset' is no use.
>
> Both of these are areas that need fixing?
>
> ( As an aside ... some schools are now using 'virtual' desktops, so several
> pupils may WELL be working on the one 'virtual server' but each in their own
> sessions. This makes it impossible to identify the individual users as well )
>
> --
> Lester Caine - G8HFL
> -----------------------------
> Model Engineers Digital Workshop - http://medw.co.uk//
> Firebird - http://www.firebirdsql.org/index.php

I explained off-list how you could do this. Create a hash of the
machines IP and browser with the username of the logged in user:

md5($ip . $browser . $username);

And store that in the database when they log in. Now each time they
perform an action, create a hash from those same bits of information
again and check it against the one created when they logged in.

You can't access their Mac address. Many people on the list have
explained that to you now. I'm not sure why an e-learning module needs
such strict requirements, as it's perfectly valid that a user might want
to use more than one browser at a time.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk