Re: Re: replying to list (I give up)

On Fri, 2010-04-23 at 13:57 -0400, Dan Joseph wrote:

> On Fri, Apr 23, 2010 at 1:51 PM, Adam Richardson <simpleshot@xxxxxxxxx>wrote:
>
> >  Contrary to my experiences a few years ago, there is no real loser
> > anymore,
> > they all are very nice and have their advantages.
> >

> Well, I still believe that Linux is the better suitor for a server, but some
> companies don't.  So you really just have to adjust to their requirements
> and needs.  You're right tho, they all have their advantages.

I agree, and with the advances Linux has been making, you can even
update the kernel now without needing to restart the server, so you can
stay up-to-date with your security patches and never need any downtime.
That's potentially more important for some businesses than the cost
savings on the software.

As a desktop system, it's my personal choice. Both KDE 4 and Gnome 3
(released in Sept 2010) offer better flashiness than Windows 7 and
arguably better than the latest Mac OSX too, and the tools are as stable
as anything I've ever used before.

And the only game I ever play (World of Warcraft) plays better on Linux
(Fedora 11) than on Windows XP (tried it on Vista once, wasn't
impressed), so I'm not considering anything else right now!

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk