Re: Re: replying to list (I give up)[SOLVED TO A DEGREE]

On 22 April 2010 17:05, Ashley Sheridan <ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-04-22 at 17:06 +0200, Peter Lind wrote:
>
> On 22 April 2010 12:14, Ashley Sheridan <ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I believe Dan Brown mentioned a very good reason why this is not as
> > simple an issue as just changing the reply-to. Not everyone who posts to
> > the list subscribes to the list, so being copied into the emails is good
> > for them. Suddenly changing the way things work could actually be
> > detrimental to the list. Imagine how many people joined up *after*
> > posting a question and receiving a good answer.
>
> That wouldn't change - they only get copied in when you choose
> 'reply-all' and that would work the same whether or not a 'reply-to'
> is used.
>
> Regards
> Peter
>

> It would change for the first reply. You say you just want to hit reply to reply to the list. Now if anyone hits reply, because the reply-to' header has been changed, the reply goes to the list and not the op. They're not subscribed and so they miss out.

You seem to forget the amount of people stating "remove the other
addresses" from the "reply-all" response. Also, if you don't want to
subscribe to a mailing list, the onus is really on you to make sure
you get the response if any comes.

> The way things stand, hitting reply instead of reply to all sends the reply back to the op only. It happens on this list often and doesn't cause many issues as the op or replyer notices and sends/copies the list back in again.

It's rather annoying and easily avoided. The question is whether this
problem is bigger than people not subscribed to the list not getting a
response, because people use "reply" instead of "reply all".

> Changing the reply-to header would mean that if someone just hit reply, the unsubscribed op wouldn't get the reply at all, and any further replies to that thread would all be to the list only and the unsubscribed op would never know.

Emailing a mailing list and expecting an automated response is ... I
don't want to be negative or arrogant, but I think there's a general
and rather problematic lack of experience there. It's a bit like
walking past a group of people, yelling a question at them, then
expecting one of them to run back to you with the answer after you've
passed. Would you normally expect that kind of behaviour?
 Apart from that, if in the current scenario you just hit 'reply' and
send the email off to the OP, the list doesn't get the benefit - and
the OP is not going to change that fact, as they're not subscribed to
the list and won't notice anyway. Which is worse, one person having to
check the answer by looking at the mailing list archive or the rest of
the list not benefiting at all from the answer?

Regards
Peter

--
<hype>