Re: CD, DVD, and Blu-Ray (Not PHP)

On 21 April 2010 18:16, tedd <tedd@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi gang:
>
> I'm no expert on media, but the only difference between CD, DVD, Blu-Ray is
> the amount of data they can hold, right? IOW, you can still record video,
> audio, pictures, files, all digital data on all media - it's just that
> Blu-Ray can hold more than DVD and DVD holds more than CD, isn't that right?
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd
>

> --
> -------
> http://sperling.com  http://ancientstones.com  http://earthstones.com
>
> --

As mentioned, in terms of just data, then pretty much yes. Capacity is the key.

But, CD, DVD and BlueRay really only describe the technology in the
loosest of terms.

CDs can be created in several formats:

Audio CD / CD-DA / Red Book - This is what you put in your CD player
to listen to music. Can also be extended to be CD-Text, CD+Graphics
(CD+G), CD+Extended Graphics (CD+EG, CD+XG)
Super Audio CD
CD-MIDI
CD-ROM
Video CD (VCD)
Super Video CD (SVCD)
Photo CD (Kodak's format)
CD-i (Philip's)
Enhanced CD / CD Extra / CD Plus
VinylDisc - This one is actually a CD on 1 side and the label has a
vinyl track - can support upto 3 minutes of audio. Need a record
player to listen to it.

And that is JUST CD.

DVD and BlueRay have their own standard and formats.

So, even though the disks all look the same, each format
limits/determines what it can contain, how it is organised and what
the player has to be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_disc
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc