RE: Mail Function Using PEAR Issues

> Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 22:01:03 +0200
> Subject: Re:  Mail Function Using PEAR Issues
> To: ajwei@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> CC: ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> On 21 April 2010 21:58, Alice Wei <ajwei@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> From: peter.e.lind@xxxxxxxxx
> >> Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 21:51:31 +0200
> >> Subject: Re:  Mail Function Using PEAR Issues
> >> To: ajwei@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> >> CC: ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

> >> Read the PEAR documentation:
> >> http://pear.php.net/manual/en/package.mail.mail.factory.php
> >> You can use other backends than just 'mail' - try using the smtp and
> >> fill in your smtp settings as needed.
> >>
> >> Regards
> >> Peter
> >>
> > I saw something like that on
> > http://email.about.com/od/emailprogrammingtips/qt/PHP_Email_SMTP_Authentication.htm,
> > and this is probably what you are talking about?
> >
> >  $smtp = Mail::factory('smtp',
> >    array ('host' => $host,
> >      'auth' => true,
> >      'username' => $username,
> >      'password' => $password));
> >
> > Do I still need to install a mail server? I have Evolution Mail on my Linux
> > box, and looks like that is a client and not a server.
> > Or, can I use any of the mail smtp setup, like Google? Or, do use some
> > authentication information from
> > http://helpme.att.net/pdf/uverse/uverse_hsi_qsg_english.pdf, since I use
> > U-Verse at home?
>
> Yes, the example you provide is the right direction - you can put in
> the smtp details you use to connect from Evolution to GMail, you don't
> need to setup a separate smtp server on your system.
>
> Regards
> Peter

Well, hold it. I have edited my code to hold the information as we have discussed earlier, and this is the error I have now:

Warning:  include_once(Net/SMTP.php) [function.include-once]: failed to open stream: No such file or directory in /usr/share/php/Mail/smtp.php on line 348

Warning:  include_once() [function.include]: Failed opening 'Net/SMTP.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:/usr/share/php') in /usr/share/php/Mail/smtp.php on line 348

Fatal error:  Class 'Net_SMTP' not found in /usr/share/php/Mail/smtp.php on line 349

I am not sure what this means. If I have installed pear correctly, what else do I have to do here? I can see that I have some "significant" error messages than not getting anything at all.

Thanks for your help.

Alice