RE: Mail Function Using PEAR Issues

> From: peter.e.lind@xxxxxxxxx
> Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2010 21:51:31 +0200
> Subject: Re:  Mail Function Using PEAR Issues
> To: ajwei@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> CC: ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> On 21 April 2010 18:44, Alice Wei <ajwei@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I have mentioned several posts earlier that I have done nothing about my
> > php.ini file. From what you said, since I use U-Verse, am I supposed to do
> > something as described here:
> > http://helpme.att.net/pdf/uverse/uverse_hsi_qsg_english.pdf
> >

> > I thought with PEAR, you don't need to do that anymore. Or, am I wrong?
> >

> Read the PEAR documentation:
> http://pear.php.net/manual/en/package.mail.mail.factory.php
> You can use other backends than just 'mail' - try using the smtp and
> fill in your smtp settings as needed.
>
> Regards
> Peter

I saw something like that on http://email.about.com/od/emailprogrammingtips/qt/PHP_Email_SMTP_Authentication.htm, and this is probably what you are talking about?

 $smtp = Mail::factory('smtp',
   array ('host' => $host,
     'auth' => true,
     'username' => $username,
     'password' => $password));
Do I still need to install a mail server? I have Evolution Mail on my Linux box, and looks like that is a client and not a server.
Or, can I use any of the mail smtp setup, like Google? Or, do use some authentication information from http://helpme.att.net/pdf/uverse/uverse_hsi_qsg_english.pdf, since I use U-Verse at home?

Thanks for your help.

Alice