image question again

When I have an imagecreatetruecolor and I create another one and use imagecopymerge, how do I keep the backgrounds transparent even if say the width of the top image is smaller than the back image? I keep getting a black background where the top image does not cover the back. It sets the transparency to the rest of the top image as long as it is covering the bottom one. I think it has to do with the imagealphablending.
Any ideas?
TIA

Karl DeSaulniers
Design Drumm