Re: File encryption under PHP

> Then "one-way encryption" would be something no one would do. I must be using
> the wrong term. What I mean is that it needs a password, which is used to
> encrypt and decrypt the file.

*Symmetric* encryption uses the same key to encrypt and decrypt the text
(what you're talking about, and example algorithms include blowfish, AES.)

*Asymmetric* encryption uses separate keys, allowing anyone to send you an
encrypted message with a public key, but only allowing you to decrypt it
with your private key (https uses this as the initial stage to exchange the
key to be used for the subsequent exchanges of text using symmetric
encryption because symmetric encryption is much faster, and example
algorithm is RSA.)

Adam

--
Nephtali:  PHP web framework that functions beautifully
http://nephtaliproject.com