Re: File encryption under PHP

On Thu, Apr 01, 2010 at 08:45:53PM +0100, Ashley Sheridan wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-04-01 at 15:47 -0400, Paul M Foster wrote:
>
>     Folks:
>
>     If I wanted to encrypt a file in PHP and then write it out to disk
>     (one-way encryption, requiring a password), what PHP built-ins might you
>     recommend to encrypt the contents of the file before writing it out to
>     disk?
>
>     Paul
>
>     --
>     Paul M. Foster
>

> I don't think you want one-way encryption, that would mean you can't unencrypt
> it!

Then "one-way encryption" would be something no one would do. I must be
using the wrong term. What I mean is that it needs a password, which is
used to encrypt and decrypt the file.

> What about the usual functions for encrypting strings in PHP? Couldn't you
> encrypt the file as a string and output that? Or did you want the file to
> request a password when it was opened? What about a password-protected
> compressed archive file?

Well, when you say, "usual functions for encrypting strings in PHP",
what are my options there? And which are the best (most secure) methods?
It looks like mcrypt_*() will do the job, but there are 20-30
algorithms, and I have no idea which are the most secure. Or would
something else be better (than mcrypt_*())?

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster