Re: Will PHP ever "grow up" and have threading?

First of all, I'll apologize for the top-post. My DROID doesn't give me the
option of top or bottom. So not ready for enterprise.

Secondly, I'll append to the statements made by Larry that, unless it's
non-web based, there are far more layers involved before, during, and after
PHP's execution. Threading is fantastic.... if you're not relying on several
other components (which are likely non-threaded themselves).

On Mar 23, 2010 7:27 PM, "larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <larry@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

On 3/23/10 6:04 PM, Tommy Pham wrote:

> If throwing hardware at it won't work because of the above ...
The word "enterprise" is meaningless in this context because it provides no
context for the distinction.  What does "enterprise" mean?  Gets Captain
Kirk to his next date?  Is OpenOffice.org's plugin download site enterprise?
 Is Sony BMG enterprise?  The sites for the cities of London and Athens?
 Whitehouse.gov?

That's just a couple of sites now running on Drupal, a particular
single-threaded PHP application.  That's not counting the thousands of
similar organizations running PHP (not even PHP-wrapping-custom-C like
Yahoo) applications of various and sundry kinds.  (Wikipedia anyone?) PHP
*is* in the enterprise and quite happy there.

"Not ready for the enterprise" is a totally meaningless statement.
Similarly, if you cannot think of any way to scale an application that
doesn't involve threads then I question your competence as a programmer.
 Sure, threads can be one way to speed things up.  There are lots and lots
of others that may be more or less appropriate depending on the
circumstances.  Threads have their own scaling issues, namely they have to
live within the same process on the same box.  That means when you hit the
maximum size of your server, you're done.  That doesn't mean threads are
bad, but they have their trade-offs just like everything else does.

But let's consider what adding threads to PHP would take.  That would mean
making PHP a shared-memory architecture, so that different requests now
operated in the same memory space.  That means RAM-based persistence.  That
means needing to write thread-safe PHP libraries. (Not the ones in C; I mean
the millions of lines of code of PHP already out there.)

In short, adding threading support to PHP means PHP is no longer PHP. It's
Java with dollarsigns.  It's a complete and total rewrite of the entire
language runtime and environment, and all of the code build atop it.

The idea that you could "just add threads" to PHP and make it
"enterprise-ready" is so naive it's mind boggling.

--Larry Garfield