Re: When to use namespaces

At 5:14 PM +0100 3/1/10, Auke van Slooten wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'm doing a small hobby project to better my understanding of php5, specifically php5.3 and I'm wondering when a namespaced project is better and when it is better to simply use a prefix to all class names.

I've been trying to get a feeling for what is considered the best practice, but most of the pages dealing with namespaces start with the assumption that you are building a complex application with lots of modules and say things like:

Namespaces should be all lowercase and must follow the following conention:
   <vendor>\<package_name>\

(thats from the php.standards mailing list btw)

In my case the project is a single module, single php file, with about 6 classes. It is an OO wrapper for PHP's xmlrpc methods (client and server) and meant to be used in a number of different projects.

Is it considered a good idea to use a namespace in such a case? And if so, what should that be? I've named the project 'ripcord', and used that as a namespace as well. I could probably name it 'muze.ripcord', but somehow that feels less 'open' to me.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts,
Auke van Slooten
Muze (www.muze.nl)

Tie it to your url, such as:

ripcord.muze.nl

That would be sufficient and unique as a namespace under your control.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------