Re: When to use namespaces

On 1 March 2010 16:14, Auke van Slooten <auke@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm doing a small hobby project to better my understanding of php5,
> specifically php5.3 and I'm wondering when a namespaced project is better
> and when it is better to simply use a prefix to all class names.
>
> I've been trying to get a feeling for what is considered the best practice,
> but most of the pages dealing with namespaces start with the assumption that
> you are building a complex application with lots of modules and say things
> like:
>
> Namespaces should be all lowercase and must follow the following conention:
>   <vendor>\<package_name>\
>
> (thats from the php.standards mailing list btw)
>
> In my case the project is a single module, single php file, with about 6
> classes. It is an OO wrapper for PHP's xmlrpc methods (client and server)
> and meant to be used in a number of different projects.
>
> Is it considered a good idea to use a namespace in such a case? And if so,
> what should that be? I've named the project 'ripcord', and used that as a
> namespace as well. I could probably name it 'muze.ripcord', but somehow that
> feels less 'open' to me.
>
> Thanks in advance for any thoughts,
> Auke van Slooten
> Muze (www.muze.nl)
>
> PS. The project is at http://code.google.com/p/ripcord/, the PHP5.3 version
> is at http://code.google.com/p/ripcord/source/browse/#svn/branches/php5.3
>
> --

If you are intending to document your code using DocBlocks and then
build a manual using phpDocumentor, then the current version of
phpDocumentor does NOT support namespaces.

Add to that the 5.3.0+ issue, then maybe sensible prefixes may be the
easier choice for the time being.

--
-----
Richard Quadling