Re: Re: UK Project Opportunity

Hello,

on 02/17/2010 02:38 AM Rene Veerman said the following:
> on the other hand, i have received off-list mail about other business
> practices of phpclasses.org that i also would not have chosen myself,
> because i disapprove of them.

Off the list? Curious. Is it my impression or someone is cowardly trying
to poison people here against the PHPClasses site?

> but, it can be argued that for a person with a certain skillset and
> skill levels, maintaining and marketing phpclasses.org is the work
> related to opensourcing.
> Not contributing a lot of work-code can then be forgiven, imo.
>
> but if it turns out he's truely leeching on the work of others (by for
> instance requiring authors to give him (near-)free exclusive rights or
> something), then i'd have to switch sides, and say that authors need
> to be warned of such practices. They should at least retain the full
> rights to their work and be able to quickly and permanently remove
> their work from a site like phpclasses.org, including the removal of
> individual files.

I don't know where people get those ideas. The PHPClasses site has no
interest nor means to require any author to grant "(near-)free exclusive
rights" to any of the contributed code.

The truth is that if authors submit their packages to PHPClasses and not
elsewhere, that could be because the site provide them benefits that
they do not get elsewhere.

Anyway, you may check out the site contribution requirements here. Maybe
the text is not very clear.

http://www.phpclasses.org/contribute.html

> it's been made clear to me that when it comes to his business
> practices, the owner of phpclasses.org likes to stick to his own ideas
> and descisions.

Is this a good or a bad thing? The site has to remain viable. By the end
of the day I am the ultimate responsible to keep it viable. I often
listen to user ideas and implement them. But some user ideas are not
feasible or are counterproductive. Should I have to follow all user
ideas even if I feel they are not right to execute?

I think sometimes users do not have patience. Certain ideas are good and
accepted but it take a long time to become feasible. Some people may
understand that as if I just want to stick to my own ideas.

For instance, the site design was meant to replaceable by the users
since 2002. Unfortunately that was something that did not get
development priority until 2008. It took more than one year to develop a
design contest system that allows any user to propose new designs and
any user to vote on the proposed designs.

The contest is finished, the winner was picked and in a few days the new
design will be up after a few adjustments. This was a monstrous job only
meant to please the interest of users to have a different design. Still
I had to put up with the criticism as if I wanted to stick to the
original design.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos