Re: UK Project Opportunity

Hello,

on 02/16/2010 10:29 PM Nathan Rixham said the following:
>>> Thank you very much for all you're help and sorry you couldn't bleed
>>> some money out of me on this occasion - perhaps you'll manage with
>>> you're next spam to the list.
>> Personally I regret that you need to be hostile and rude when I was
>> legitimately trying to help you. I do not recall ever seeing you here.
>> You seem to act as if I hurt you in someway in the past. If I ever did
>> that, I sincerely apologise.
>>
>> Anyway, I just think you probably are misunderstanding my work. I hope
>> it does not upset you that I carry on working on projects that I believe
>> to benefit the PHP developers in general.
>>

> I'm unsure now TBH
>
> 1/2 of me is reading your response and thinking; sure sounds fair;
>
> the other half me is thinking "if I took all your opensource work (and
> other peoples) then wrapped it up in a site filled with adverts, then
> piggy backed on paid services like job postings and premium members etc
> to it - so that I could make a living; would that be a good thing to do
> / would it be "cool"? then counter thought of if those people
> contributed the code.

There seems to be a small detail that may have escaped you. I do not
take anybody opensource. The authors voluntarily submit their work to
the site.

I am not abusing from anybody's work without permission because the
authors submitted it to the PHPClasses.org because they wanted to.

> in all honesty the following are the sticking point that make it hard
> for me to decide if I was right in my earlier response:
>
> 1: that the "sign up to get the class" is even part of the equation

This is another misunderstanding. The site does not make anybody
register to download any package. That is an option determined by each
author.

That is explained in the site FAQ and other places, but some people
still misunderstand it and assume that it is an evil imposition of the site.

http://www.phpclasses.org/faq/#register-to-download

It may not be obvious, but the truth is that this detail is one of the
reasons for the success of the site.

> 2: that developer listings are visible to premium only peopl

Also, if you are a premium subscriber, everybody can contact you if you
want to provide paid services.

Of course, as aI mentioned, if you are a great contributor that sent
innovative packages, you get your premium subscription for free.

> 3: that users can't delete an account

That is explained in the FAQ. The site does not allow users to recreate
accounts with the same address or access name. If you really delete an
account, you have no way to prevent that an user recreates an account
with the same access name and e-mail address. That would be a hole for
malicious users to cheat on several types of rankings and contests that
the site organizes.

http://www.phpclasses.org/faq/#delete-account

Other than that, most sites out there never really delete accounts. Some
claim they do, but then you try to create an account with the same
credentials and the site says the account still exists. I would rather
tell users the truth.

> 4: the amount of adverts

I wish it was viable to remove all the ads. That would mean that the
site could succeed on revenue from other services. Advertising was plan
B. I still hope someday I can take all ads down. Meanwhile, premium
subscribers have all ads removed from the site. In some cases, they see
other valuable information in the place of the ads.

> Certain things like having paid Job postings on there
> are fair enough and I'll remove from the equation; just the 4 things
> above that I can't decided over.
>
> Maybe I am misunderstanding, perhaps I was a bit harsh - I would be
> interested to know if it is a "full time job"; obviously we can't have
> you working for nothing whilst you're family suffers.

> It bothered me that I may have flamed you for no reason, so I took
> council from a few people - one said I was definitely right to do so;
> one wasn't sure after your response; and the other said "opensource
> people shouldn't play that game" (ie monetize / pull a salary from
> contributed work). I'm wondering why it is that people are unsure about
> your website, yet see sourceforge and github etc with there adverts as okay.

Nowadays it is not that dramatic. That was more a problem after the
dotcom bubble in 2001 when there were no alternatives to monetize a
content site. The site was at a greater risk of closing.

Nowadays I am just happy that I work for myself on a project that I have
chosen to dedicate full time. It is just not a matter of money, although
more money helps investing on things like the design contest that
allowed paying the best user chosen design for the site.

There are much more things upcoming. Most of the things are based on
suggestions from users because that is the way to make this a more
satisfactory project for everybody.

But I have to manage this as any real business to keep it viable.

Most people that use the site do it to some how make money for
themselves, being that using code or solutions found on the site to
develop paid projects for clients, find developers to work on their
projects, etc..

The site charges for some services, but I believe it charges reasonable
amounts for the benefits it provides and the paying users will make much
more using such benefits.

--

Regards,
Manuel Lemos