Re: HTML5 <aside> description

Robert Cummings wrote:
Michael A. Peters wrote:
If <aside> is not proper to use for this purpose, what would be?

<sidebar> suggests a particular type of layout.
<section> suggests content.
<nav> is appropriate for some items in a side bar, but not all, and is often a child of how <aside> is being used.

I would like to see a <toc> tag for nav that serves as a table of contents of sorts (what I often have at the top of a side bar) but I suspect <nav> is considered sufficient.

Maybe <sidebar> would be best, and the reference to column type layout can just be understood that isn't necessarily on the side?

I would lean towards <div> if there is no appropriate semantic tag to markup the information. But in the case of ads, there really should be a n <ad> tag :)

I don't know.
I understand making it cake for ad blockers is attractive, but I run a web site that benefits the local community and is paid for out of my pocket and while some donations have come in, nowhere near what it costs. There are a few select ads (no flash or animated) and even they don't make up the difference, but I wouldn't use something like <ad> because I personally have taken a huge financial cut this year (20% income reduction) yet I'm kind enough to out of pocket provide this service, including things like a SSL certificate so that users who want to log on can do so without fear of password sniffing etc. and I will never charge for use of my site, so while I don't specifically look for people running ad blockers, when they do, it kind of feels like they are giving me the finger.

I do not mind script/flash blockers (and will never use flash ads because of how many behave poorly and do things like expand to cover content or flash at high rates giving headaches and possibly even causing seizures) but I know people use ad blockers, so I host the ad images myself which seems to neuter them, but I would never use something like <ad> until someone paid me to, and it would have to cover costs (which are not covered even right now even with ads).

I've been accused (once) of trying to profit from the site.
I'd post how I replied to the jerk, but I assume some children read this list.