Re: HTML5 <aside> description

On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 09:39 -0500, Robert Cummings wrote:

> Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> > On Thu, 2010-02-11 at 01:44 -0500, Robert Cummings wrote:
> >> *haha* I've removed w3.org from the recipients list... so onwards to the
> >> content below...

> >> I can only somewhat agree with your assessment above. It is true that
> >> while many people still use broken browsers like IE6 and IE7; however,
> >> this should not completely dissuade us from improving the experience for
> >> those users that *do* choose standards compliant browsers. If we ignore
> >> those users because we don't see the point in wasting time on the IE*
> >> crowd, then we essentially weaken the argument in favour of embracing
> >> standards. While IE* Joe, doesn't give a damn about whether his browser
> >> supports <aside> or not, studious Jane really enjoys the enriched
> >> experience her browser provides because not only does it understand
> >> asides, but it provides a convenient extra facility that extracts them
> >> into a browsable list with excerpts taken from the surrounding text for
> >> context (inverting the relationship :). Then there's Jenny who's blind,
> >> she's listening to the content on the page and hears a little ding go
> >> off that indicates there's further information available that she can
> >> review-- she can choose to pull it up and listen to it, after which the
> >> reader returns to where she left off the original content. Alternatively
> >> she may choose not to interrupt the main flow of information, but again,
> >> similar to Jane's experience she can listen to each one afterwards in a
> >> summarized fashion.
> >>
> >> This is how serious organizations, and almost certainly Government, will
> >> markup their information. Regardless of whether everyone has a browser
> >> that supports the information. If the semantic markup improves usability
> >> and enriches the information, then it will be used to meet that purpose.

> >> Thanks... You've got me blushing :D
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Rob.
> >> --
> >> http://www.interjinn.com
> >> Application and Templating Framework for PHP
> >>

> > I'd say that from what I've heard, Governments aren't that good at
> > getting accessible sites up, so the chances of them using HTML5
> > semantically, well, the immediate future doesn't look too rosy!
> >
> > Also, I thought I'd throw in my tuppence as to the use of <aside>. I'd
> > tend to try and relate it to a footnote in a book, or a boxout in a
> > magazine article. It's not integral to the content it's related to or
> > near, but acts as an aid to it should the reader wish.
>
> I don't know about where you are, but Canadian government has very
> specific guidelines on how content should be marked up... and semantic
> use of tags is a clear part of that:
>
>      "The institution respects the universal accessibility
>       guidelines developed by the World Wide Web Consortium's Web
>       Accessibility Initiative by ensuring compliance of its Web
>       sites with the Priority 1 and Priority 2 checkpoints of the
> [...]

The good old UK, where the government is always a decade behind in the
technology stakes. There are legal requirements for accessibility, of
which semantics is a part, but often government sites seem to be some of
the worst to access from anything other than the most particular of
setups, ergo: Internet Explorer, Javascript turned on, colour monitor
(which itself assumes you're not blind), keyboard & mouse to navigate
(which assumes no motor difficulties).

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk