Re: PHP Manual problems

On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 10:20 -0800, Michael A. Peters wrote:

> Bob McConnell wrote:
>

> > Our SOP is to generate standards compliant pages, validate them with
> > Firefox and the HTML Validator add-on, then deal with the deviant
> > browsers. It's a lot less work than trying to do it the other way
> > around. There are a few minor issues, such as W3C still refusing to
> > allow the autocomplete attribute for forms, while PCI requires it. But
> > those are few and far between.
>
> Go HTML 5.
> It doesn't work with the validator plugin but it validates at W3C.
>
> And while going HTML 5, start migrating to HTML 5 layout.
>
> IE

> <aside>
> // stuff
> </aside>
>
> Most browsers do not recognize the HTML 5 layout tags yet, so you have
> to wrap them in a div and attach the style to the div, but as browsers
> start adopting HTML 5 your content will work with context features even
> while still wrapped in the div tags.
>
> It is particularly useful for article and section, where the depth of a
> section within an article can be helpful for non visual browsers.

What about search engines? Will there be any impact on these,
particularly with regards to semantic content?

Also, are there any browsers that would fall over with unknown tags? I
know IE used to not take too kindly to these sorts of things, but that
was a good few years ago (I'm thinking IE2/IE3 here)!

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk