Re: Thinking of moving to .NET because of standalone... any suggestions?

Ryan S wrote:

I need to make a few standalones programs that will run (mostly) on
Windows... is there any other way that I have not found that i can
use PHP instead of learning something new like .NET?

Use the best tool for the job.

I suspect that if your primary target is MS you will have an application that is more consistent with MS interface guidelines if you use MS tools to develop it.

I've only played a little bit with php-gtk and just didn't "get it" but I do know the few times I have used Windows, the gtk+ apps I used on it always felt a bit out of place (so does iTunes, btw) on the system.

I don't know the details, but I know that at least some .NET apps can be ported to *nix without too much trouble using mono, so by using .NET you may not be sacrificing portability.

I'm not saying use .NET, I don't know, but if I was developing GUI desktop apps where Windows was the primary target, I would use a Windows native programming environment to do it as I suspect it would result in far less headaches and far easier time finding solutions to problems via google when I'm stumped.

I believe .NET is pretty much how it is done on Windows now (but I really don't know, I stay away from Windows, I'm a ABM'r).

Just my 2 cents.