Re: Do you use a public framework or roll your own?

Michael A. Peters wrote:
> Michael A. Peters wrote:
>> Daevid Vincent wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm not looking to start a holy war here or re-hash the tired debate.
>>> I just want some hard cold numbers to look at.
>>>
>>> "Do you use a public framework or roll your own?"
>>> http://www.rapidpoll.net/8opnt1e
>>>

>>> And for those interested, here are the results of the last poll:
>>>
>>> "To add the final ?> in PHP or not..."
>>> http://www.rapidpoll.net/show.aspx?id=arc1opy
>>>
>>> I'm relieved to know I'm in the majority (almost 2:1) who close their
>>> opening PHP tags. :)
>>>

>> I roll my own, partially from classes I wrote and partially from
>> classes at phpclasses.org and partially from neat stuff I find on the
>> web.
>>
>> Not sure you could call it framework though, just a loose collection
>> of independent classes.
>>

> Just spent a couple days bringing that loose collection together along
> with CSS templates from http://www.freecsstemplates.org/ and now
> actually have my own (not quite finished) CMS.
>
> And it looks / works a hell of a lot better than anything I've done
> before (er, other than it not quite being finished ...)
>
> Making my classes work together specifically to make a generic CMS
> exposed a lot of bugs and poor design decisions in them that are now
> largely fixes (er, well, we'll see ...)
>
> Last few days have been like an epiphany for me.

great to hear; I've done this with pretty much every project for the
last 5 years and in most cases I can apple it [1] - also find it
beneficial to see coding styles over the years and refactor previous
work - strangest thing is that as time goes on, the number of classes &
lines of code I need for each application seems to drop!

[1] "got a class for that"