Re: Pointers For Newbies, Reminders For Oldies

Daniel Brown wrote:
On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 12:27, Ashley Sheridan <ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Depends I guess on how far you need to optimise the code. I'd imagine that to something like Facebook, every split-second of optimisation is worth it, as even a 100th of a second becomes minutes of wasted time over the course of a few hours when you consider their volume of users, even with caching.

    Right.  That, and the translation factors are the two most
important things to mention.  Further, translatable quotes take longer
to process because they're first evaluated for things to translate.
This only equals out to a few FLOPS, but when increasing by magnitude,
the FLOPS are increased exponentially as well.  And add on a few more
FLOPS for each translation, such as escaped quotes and dollar signs.

I'm pretty sure you meant linearly in the above comment.

Cheers,
Rob.
--
http://www.interjinn.com