Re: 304 Not Modified header not working within a class

Problem solved!!!!!!!

Everything was working ok with PHP. My class was working ok. The engineering
and logic behind PHP was working. So... what was the problem? Apache...
well, it wasn't a problem, but a misconfiguration or better said, a
mis-optimization.
In my first message, I stated: (quote)

> there is no way I can send a 304 Not Modified header, when the data is
> *over* ~100 bytes.

After 8 hours of working with this problem (which included sniffering and a
lot of workarounds), and while I was smoking my final cigarrette before
going to bed, I remembered that some time ago (well, some time like 2 years
ago xD), I had enabled mod_disk_cache, with the following configuration:
<IfModule mod_disk_cache.c>
  CacheRoot /tmp/apachecache/
  CacheEnable disk /
  CacheDirLength 1
  CacheDirLevels 5
  CacheMaxFileSize 128000
  *CacheMinFileSize 100*
</IfModule>

I commented that part, restarted Apache and bingo!!!! Instantly I had an 304
header.
What do I think the problem was? Whenever Apache received a request, it
handled it directly from _his_ cache and simply omitted what PHP was telling
him to do. The weird thing was that the class entered the 304 header part,
but Apache always ended up sending an 200 OK header and then the CSS. In
first place it shouldn't have sended the CSS because when I entered the 304
part, it should have died. It simply couldn't send any other output. (And
that was why I sniffered, if it shouldn't send the CSS; he must have been
send some kind of error, but my surprise was really big when I saw that the
raw data was just plain CSS, no other data was present).
Why was Apache then sending a 304 whenever the data was under the 100 byte
limit? Because he didn't have it in his cache and was obeying what PHP told
him to do. (This configuration created a cache whenever the file size is
between the 100 and 128000 bytes).

Anyway... now I will be publishing the class soon on phpclasses.org under
the BSD license. I'll work now on documentation and code cleanup but
whenever it is ready I will leave the link in this same list (if it is
allowed) xD

Greetings, a lot of thanks to Richard for his code and Rene for his
suggestion to take a look at Apache and good night :P (Despite being 7AM xD)

--
Mailed by:
UnReAl4U - unreal4u