Re: Foreign Characters Break in MySQL

On Fri, 2010-01-22 at 12:04 -0500, tedd wrote:

> At 4:18 PM +0000 1/22/10, Ashley Sheridan wrote:
> >
> >You'd be surprised how many people still use a dumb browser!
> >
> >Thankfully though, it seems that people are wising up a bit more, as
> >these stats from a media website show:
> >
> >Safari 4		2624
> >Firefox 3.5		1320
> >Firefox 3		690
> >IE 8			501
> >IE 6			465
> >IE 7			417
> >Safari 3.2		171
> >Firefox 2		151
> >Mozilla 1.9		109
> >Unknown 0		56
> >Safari 3.1		53
> >Chrome 3		34
> >Safari 3		19
> >Google Webmaster Tools 0 7
> >Flock 2		5
> >Opera 10		1
> >
> >This is a media-based website, which would explain the large use of
> >browsers available for the Mac, but I still take it as a good sign.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Ash
>

> Ash:
>
> As you know, stats really depend upon the site tested. I have one
> site where over 99 percent of the visitors are Mac users (over 120
> unique visitors each day).
>
> The following link I think provides more typical browser selection stats.
>
> http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp
>
> Fortunately IE6 is on the way out (good riddance) and other IE's are
> losing ground (Woo Hoo!).
>
> More browser developers are trying to adhere to standards rather than
> fighting them like M$ does. As I see it, it always takes M$ a little
> more time to learn anything worthwhile.
>
> Cheers,
>
> tedd
>
> --
> -------
> http://sperling.com  http://ancientstones.com  http://earthstones.com

I agree that stats vary from site to site, I was just picking one I had
my own tracking on that wasn't of a technical persuasion. W3C admits
themselves that their stats are probably tainted by the technical
experience of its visitors.

I don't want to hijack this thread so I won't go into anything that
would spur a mass debate! (don't read those last two words aloud too
quickly!)

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk