Re: Object Oriented Programming question

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 10:11:18AM -0500, tedd wrote:

<snip>

> While I teach OOP, I don't write any OOP for clients. My charge is to
> do things quickly and OOP requires a considerable amount of analysis
> before creating a solution. In most cases, I don't have the time.
> Besides, I'm more of an agile programmer and that doesn't lend itself
> well to OOP, IMO.

This is a fascinating viewpoint. It's almost a sideways condemnation of
OOP: "It takes too long to write OOP for customers". (I know that's not
how you meant it.) But I have to agree, with one proviso. I tend to
write mostly procedural for clients because of time constraints. But I
believe part of the reason I do this is because I haven't built generic
OO components ahead of time which lend themselves to being used on
client sites. If I had spent the considerable time to build OO
components which were usable in this context, I'd be happy to use them.
OTOH, MVC (OOP on steroids) is just beyond reasonable in most cases for
client sites.

I will also echo that it takes a lot of time/work to correctly build OO
components, compared to straight functions or function libraries.

Paul

--
Paul M. Foster