Object Oriented Programming question

Hi,

I've been learning about object oriented programming for the past few weeks
and I've understood it pretty well, but I have one question. Usually with
PHP scripts I make, all the functionality for a specific page is in the
actual PHP file, and I'd use PHP functions in a separate directory which
would be included in whichever PHP file needs specific functions I have
created. The functions would be for the specific things in my script, such
as validation checks, functionality that will be used/repeated a lot
throughout my script, etc. What I don't understand about OOP is what its
primary purpose is for. Do I use OOP for all the functionality of my
application, in separate directories, and include these specific class files
and call the methods to complete specific functionality needed for whatever
PHP file I'm working on, or is OOP used for specific functionality like I
would with functions? Essentially what I'm asking is what is the primary
purpose for OOP? Hope you understand.

Thanks,