Re: Cookies & sessions

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 16:45:37 +0530, kranthi117@xxxxxxxxx (kranthi) wrote:

>> When I first started using sessions, I was alarmed to read a very similar statement about
>> sessions, but I soon found that if I started my program with the statement
>> "session_start();" I could then set up, access, modify or clear any session variable at
>> any time in my program. This is enormously useful, as I can put the session handling at
>> any convenient point in my program, and can precede them with diagnostics if I need to.
>
>are you looking for ob_* functions ?

Yes, thank you; I was!

I read this, and said "what the hell are they?", before I tried Bruno's setcookie() again,
and verified it didn't work. Then I noticed a textbook buried on my desk opened to the
section on cookies, saw "output buffering", and realised what you were talking about. And,
yes, they do seem to let me do what I want.

Unfortunately they don't do one thing I would have liked them to, which is to enable me to
see diagnostics buried in CSS code. The only way to discover these is to use the Explorer
setcookie suggestion some diagnostics went missing (because I was running the wrong
version), and when I looked at the HTML I found some error messages relating to an
undefined variable in the CSS, which I fear have been there for a long time.