Re: Cookies & sessions

The first setcookie call is empty which produces the errors that cause the second cookie to fail.

Bastien

Sent from my iPod

On Jan 19, 2010, at 10:16 PM, clancy_1@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

On Tue, 19 Jan 2010 09:12:17 -0200, bsfajardo@xxxxxxxxx (Bruno Fajardo) wrote:

2010/1/19  <clancy_1@xxxxxxxxxxxx>:
I am trying for the first time to use cookies. The manual contains the statement "Cookies are part of the HTTP header, so setcookie() must be called before any output is sent to
the browser."

When I first started using sessions, I was alarmed to read a very similar statement about sessions, but I soon found that if I started my program with the statement "session_start();" I could then set up, access, modify or clear any session variable at any time in my program. This is enormously useful, as I can put the session handling at any convenient point in my program, and can precede them with diagnostics if I need to.

However I have almost immediately found that while I appear to be able to read cookies at any time, I cannot set them when I would like to. Is there any similar trick which will
work with cookies?

The only trick is that you have to call setcookie() before any output
is sent to the browser, just like the session_start() behavior.

Thank you all for your suggestions. Unfortunately I have already tried this, and it doesn't work for me (I am running PHP: 5.1.6). I have only tested this on my own PC, but if it doesn't work here, I would be very surprised if it would work on the remote server.

Index.php starts:

   <?php //;V;;;                Cypalda/Index.php   Printed:

   session_start ();
   setcookie ();
   setcookie ('user_id', 'Wilma*Witgenstein', time()+3600);

And this produces the following output:

Warning: setcookie() expects at least 1 parameter, 0 given in
D:\Websites\cypalda.com\index.php on line 4

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at D:\Websites\cypalda.com\index.php:4) in D:\Websites\cypalda.com \index.php on line 5

It is interesting to note that the second diagnostic is generated because the first diagnostic is taken to have initiated the headers. I think I can live with this limitation, but this diagnostic is a warning of the hassles I am likely to face if I
cannot find a way around it.