Re: Need Idea to make Backup

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 5:45 AM, Ashley Sheridan
<ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

> On Thu, 2010-01-14 at 12:32 +0100, Jens Geier wrote:
>
> > "Ashley Sheridan" <ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> schrieb im Newsbeitrag

> Newsbeitrag

> folder

> should

> create
> or
> from a

> script
> bit.

> the

> > > The script needs to be set up on your local machine. I don't think HTTP
> > > will help you much here, as that isn't great for transferring files
> > > upstream I've found. Googling 'rsync ftp example' brings about over
> > > 230,000 results, have you actually tried looking?
> > >
> > > Thanks,
> > > Ash
> > > http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
> > >
> > No, i have not.
> >
> > Because i also think that there will not a finish software.
> >
> > So i think i have to write something by my own.
> > That is the reason i ask for ideas to do so.
> >
> > I just read here the following thread:
> >
> >  Read directory; store filenames found in mySQL table?
> >
> > That is something that is running in that direction in try to go.
> >
> > Kind Regards
> > Jens Geier
> >

> But I've told you that the best tool to do it is rsync. This is a tool,
> not a whole large peice of software with a GUI, etc. You use it in
> conjunction with other software to achieve what you need. Have you even
> looked up at what rsync is?
>
> Thanks,
> Ash
> http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk

I recently used rsync (for the first time, even) in order to transfer an
entire directory structure of several thousand files and folders from one
VPS host to another. It worked like a dream, and the standard output could
be captured to build a report such as the OP was asking for.

Srsly, man -- take Ashley's suggestion and at least check it out. :)