404 page

hi

1.
i have a .htaccess file in my root directory on unix hosting

following is the code in .htaccess file

ErrorDocument 404 /filenotfound.html

the file filenotfound.html is also in the root directory as the htaccess
file

when i intentionally type a wrong url either if a misspell a file ex=
http://domainname.com/filenam.html or a folder ex =
http://domainname.com/100
to test if this is working filenotfound.html is not being called

any reason why this is happening

also the same thing with wamp on my local computer, i have a htaccess and
also the filenotfound
in d:/wamp/www however when i misspell the ulr of my localhost, i have
noticed in the status bar that the page is being redirected to
http://linkhelp.clients.google.com and i get a 404 from this website, how
can i change this redirection

2.
how do i access the php.ini and httpd.conf file from my cpanel, do i need to
ask my hosting provider to make any changes or can i make these changes
myself

3.
after downloading putty and if i have wamp in d:/wamp/www how do i access
mysql from the command prompt
using putty on my local machine

please advice

thanks.