Re: MySQL Appeal from Monty

On Tue, 2009-12-15 at 02:53 +0000, Joseph Masoud wrote:

> On 14 Dec 2009, at 22:01, Ashley Sheridan <ash@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> wrote:

> >> Do share your db of interest... (and please don't say MSSQL).
> >>
> >> ~Philip
> >>

> > MSSQL has nearly brought me to tears and could have easily made me
> > bald
> > through hair pulling!
> >
> > I have to say, I do like MySQL, it's very flexible and fast, and being
> > able to choose different storage engines for different tables in the
> > same DB is brilliant! I really don't think there's anything to overly
> > worry about from Oracle, as the two DB's have different audiences.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ash
> > http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk
> >

> Unfortunately, I do not share your optimism.  I believe that Oracle
> taking over MySQL would be a disaster of epic proportions.
>
> The "different audiences" theory has been bought up several times but
> I haven't [to date] seen a sound justification for it. Oracle wants
> everyone to use ... Oracle, I can't see how this "different audiences"
> theory is going to make Oracle promote MySQL, perhaps someone can tell
> me?
>
> I don't think the EU would be able to do anything about it.  The
> powerful companies almost always get what they want.
>
> I don't think Monty wouldn't be doing this unless he felt that
> something [put mildly] bad is coming.
>
> What has happened, has happened.  Trying to figure out who is to blame
> for this mess is pointless. Ideally, It would be nice if Oracle took
> its claws off MySQL and found another project to ruin.
>
> Note: I am *not* trying to spread FUD

I've always been led to believe that you go with MySQL if you want
speed, Oracle if you want data integrity. I know they both handle each
one admirably, but Oracle is known more for guarding the data against
mishaps and MySQL is known more for performance. I just think it may be
a little early to be condemning Oracle yet, we should wait a little to
at least see what stance they have on the whole thing. And before you
ask, no I have no connection to Oracle, I'm an avid MySQL fan!