Re: Issue with $HTTP_POST_VARS Not getting Variables

On Fri, 2009-12-11 at 13:37 -0700, Eric Lommatsch wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am working with a login page to use with an application that we are
> planning to make available as a web service. The login.php page itself works
> correctly, however when I try and pass parameters to the login page the are
> not being recognized by the login.php page.
>
> Here is the basic code that I am dealing with to attempt to the the
> variables:
>
> <?php
>
> $username = $HTTP_POST_VARS['username'];
>
> $password = $HTTP_POST_VARS['password'];
>
> $username = $_POST['username'];
>
> $password = $_POST['password'];
>
> echo $username;
>
> ?>
>
> When I enter the url
> http://localost/index.php?username=jasperadmin&password=******
>
> Where localhost is the ip address of my server and ****** is the password of
> the user that is logging in, I am not having the username questioned and the
> login.php isacting as if I have not entered any parameters.
>
> Why are the parameters not being accepted?
>
> I am using php version 5.2.6 on a ubuntu linux box
>

> Thank you
>
> Eric H. Lommatsch
> Programmer
> 360 Business

First off, take out those HTTP_POST_VARS lines. That's an outdated way
of accessing post variables, and is made useless by the next two lines
that follow it.

Second, the two lines you are using at the end there are for post data,
but you clearly use get data in the URL! If you have to accept the
username and password from both get and post, change the lines to use
$_REQUEST instead of $_POST.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk