Issue with $HTTP_POST_VARS Not getting Variables

Hello,

I am working with a login page to use with an application that we are
planning to make available as a web service. The login.php page itself works
correctly, however when I try and pass parameters to the login page the are
not being recognized by the login.php page.

Here is the basic code that I am dealing with to attempt to the the
variables:

<?php

$username = $HTTP_POST_VARS['username'];

$password = $HTTP_POST_VARS['password'];

$username = $_POST['username'];

$password = $_POST['password'];

echo $username;

?>

When I enter the url
http://localost/index.php?username=jasperadmin&password=******

Where localhost is the ip address of my server and ****** is the password of
the user that is logging in, I am not having the username questioned and the
login.php isacting as if I have not entered any parameters.

Why are the parameters not being accepted?

I am using php version 5.2.6 on a ubuntu linux box

Thank you

Eric H. Lommatsch
Programmer
360 Business