Re: php mail() function

After a long delay, I've finally got mail working. I had decided to
move on in the book that I'm working through (Head First PHP & MySQL)
but doubled back to address the mail issue again. This is how I
finally got it to work:

1. Switched to XAMPP for linux rather than using my existing versions
of mysql, php and apache.

2. Uninstalled Postfix and reinstalled Sendmail. Then I followed the
instructions here:

http://dbaron.org/linux/sendmail

I can't vouch that the method described at that link is completely
safe and secure, but it worked for me and was very easy. I've spent
many hours and days trying to get this to work so am very relieved.

My only complaint is that there is quite a long delay after submitting
report.html (from Ch. 1) while it says 'waiting for localhost...'. It
can take up to 20 seconds or so before sending and giving
confirmation.

Thanks for all your help.