RE: dynamic meta tag and title app?

> Actually, you can make a site today that uses JAvascript to enhance
> functionality.

I'd say a <title> fits that category. You can live without it.

> Something as simple as a title for a page shouldn't be
> relying on Javascript to function!

Shouldn't = I agree.

Sometimes the way a page is coded, it does have to be that way.
I'm working on one now, where the way the UX guy made the DIV's (so that
when using
A mobile phone, the menu is at the bottom) it makes it very difficult to
populate
The title with my gui_header.php and gui_footer.php and gui_nav.php
components.

Also, I render in a top down fashion, so I output:

	1. the header,
	2. then the navigation,
	3. body content
	4. footer

I can't populate the title when I've already output it and don't know what
page in the navigation the user is currently on. Sure I could jump through
hoops and pre-process the nav and use output buffering or something, but
whatev.

Hence, I use JS to populate at the end of the PHP rendering.

Just sayin'. ;-)

> It's worth pointing out that in the
> UK there is something called the Disability Discrimination
> Act, in which
> it is an offense to unfairly penalise someone based on a disability.
> Now, call me stupid, but how many speech or Braille browsers
> do you know
> with Javascript support, and if there are any, do they support all the
> Javascript that some people rely on to make their site
> accomplish basic
> functionality

Not to sound like a jerk or diminish the plight of disabled people,
but how many Braille browsers can parse Flash? Or use AJAX then?
Or Silverlight? Or umpteen other technologies.
Your point, while good in theory is far from practical or realistic.

> There is an aside to this as well. Javascript is not indexed by search
> engines. The closest that even Google comes is to index URL's
> it find in
> the Javascript, but it is not a full Javascript parser
> itself. How could
> any search engine achieve this; the permutations of user
> interaction are
> infinite. So, relying on Javascript to populate basic content
> means that
> it will never be indexed. I mention this last part because most people
> don't seem to give a damn about accessibility, but when
> threatened with
> low search rankings they wail like harpies until their site
> is 'fixed'.

Having said that, you are correct and if SEO is your goal, then certainly
<title> ranks up there.

http://www.seomoz.org/article/search-ranking-factors
http://www.seobook.com/video-google-seo-friendly-page-titles

For my needs, SEO is NOT a factor as this is a SaaS site and our customers
subscribe to it as an ancillary service to a multi-million dollar product we
sell them. The site is used for reports/statistics the hardware generates.
In fact, we don't even want Google or other engines to know about it -- that
just invites crackers and script kiddies ;-)

Daevid.
http://daevid.com