Re: UrlRewrite htaccess confusion

Rob Gould wrote:
> I feel like I'm really close to a solution for the clean-url method in
> htaccess.  I've successfully got it now so that:
>
> http://benchwarmersports.com/packages/basketball/2010/nba-all-star-game
>
> maps to:
>
> http://benchwarmersports.com/packages.php?category=basketball&year=2010&title=nba-all-star-game
>

> However, I'm finding that when I click on subsequent links from:
>
> http://benchwarmersports.com/packages/basketball/2010/nba-all-star-game
>
> that I land in a strange url-structure where it replicates the packages
> part of the url.
>
> Can someone tell me what I might need to change about my rewrite logic
> to fix this issue?  I'm getting lost in the world of base urls and
> recursive rewrites...

It's hard to tell without seeing the link and/or what code you use to
generate it, but off the top of my head I would say that it's not a
rewrite issue.  It seems to be an issue with using relative URLs in your
links.  If you are on this page (this is in your browser address bar):
http://benchwarmersports.com/packages.php?category=basketball&year=2010&title=nba-all-star-game

The browser will interpret all relative links like 'somefile.php' as:
http://benchwarmersports.com/somefile.php

But if you use your rewritten URL, then the browser will see relative
links as one of the following (not sure which without testing):

http://benchwarmersports.com/packages/basketball/2010/nba-all-star-game/somefile.php

--or--

http://benchwarmersports.com/packages/basketball/2010/somefile.php

This is because it is interpreting the slashes as path separators.  You
probably need to generate absolute URLs in your links.

--
Thanks!
-Shawn