RE: Re: Converting tables into forms

From: Ashley Sheridan

<benc11@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> > Does anyone have a quick way of converting tables into forms?
>> >

> There is still the issue of exactly what db fields will translate
into.
> Where is a good time to use radio buttons instead of select lists, or
> checkboxes instead of select-multiple lists? What about text fields in
> the db? Should they be textareas or text inputs? Do all the db fields
> need to be translated as visible fields? Should you hide ID fields?
>
> There are so many questions, that you might be better off rolling your
> own, as a one-size-fits-all will not always work for everyone.

I have a feeling in the pit of my stomach that your project is going to
create a support nightmare. Either you will have to hand code forms for
each table, or find a framework that dynamically creates the forms from
schema and create suitable maps for each form. In either case, it will
take weeks or months to complete and be nearly impossible to maintain
when tables are changed or added.

If your solution requires you to create hundreds of forms, which could
take months to code, you need to take another look at the problem. I
don't believe you have thought it through very well.

Bob McConnell