Re: using mysql_close() = best practice?

On 24/10/2009 7:36 PM, Kim Madsen wrote:
Hi

PHP closes an open db connection when the script is done.

I've read somewhere that in PHP6 this behaviour will dissapear, is this
true? In that case using mysql_close() would definetly be best practice
in all current scripts, to make it portable.

A nice solution would probably be adding a end_mysql() or page_end() to
all pages and put whatever is needed into that function (mysql_close,
mysql_free_result, etc)

I can't say with any certainty whether that is true or not - but it certainly seems like it is false. Non-persistent connections are destroyed automatically by the garbage collector when no more references are detected. See http://au2.php.net/manual/en/language.types.resource.php#language.types.resource.self-destruct

That said, I believe it to be good practice to close any opened database connection. All my database methods are wrapped in a class, however, so I do this in the destructor.