Re: How to pronounce PHP code over the phone?

On 10/16/2009 9:31 PM, Dotan Cohen wrote:
Wow! Here goes:

Open-bracket, dollar item hypen greater-than, get service id, no all one word but with a capital S and I. Open and close brackets, question mark, dollar item again, then a hyphen and greater-than, that get service id and brackets bit again, exactly the same as last time; yes, capital S and I again. Colon, no the colon is the one with two dots, not dot and comma. Dollar item again, then hypen, greater-than, get id, with a capital I. Nope, no service bit this time. Now, open bracket and two closing brackets (I assumed the final two on your example were typos?!). now a semi-colon, yes the one with the comma.

That's pretty much how I could foresee me telling someone this on the phone, but to be honest, I'd really prefer an email ;)

So it really involves mentioning each character. I was hoping that
there would be a shared language for constructs such as ->  and the
like.

There are, what you'd call, technical jargon for them.
However, it'd pretty obviously depend on the extent of knowledge of the person on other side of phone line. If she understands PHP objects, difference between OOP in PHP4 & PHP5, and ternary operator, things would be fairly simple.

In any case, Ashley's nailed the foolproof technique for sure :)
Thanks.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://what-is-what.com