Re: security/deployment issue

>> Rsync should work fine, but personally I like to see exactly which
>> changes are being deployed especially when deploying to production.
>> While I realise this recommendation is not Open Source software, I
>> have found it to be an excellent piece of software for this task. I
>> use Beyond Compare which has the ability to connect over SFTP or SCP
>> as well as regular FTP. It allows you to 'diff' the files as you go
>> and view exact changes and you can transfer only the changes you want
>> or whole files if you choose to. I would not be surprised if an Open
>> Source equivalent exists.
>
> What about SVN? you can do a svn export. Or you can have a working
> copy for production too.
> Just dont forget to deny access to .svn in your webserver.
> Here are directives for Apache:
>
> <Directory ~ "^(.*/)?\.svn/?">
>     Order allow,deny
>     Deny from all
> </Directory>

I do exactly this, its handy to be able to check out the latest version of
a website, make some changes and commit it again, while having acsess to
the complete revision history, from absolutely anywhere.

SVN works over HTTPS, so can go straight through most firewalls without
anyone noticing and it also does data transmissions (like RSync) which can
be a LOT faster than re uploading the whole file with SFTP etc.

There are some security issues in a shared hosting environment though, if
you use a commit hook to update the web root on commit using a file:///
URL anyone on the server could check out / commit files from the
repository. As of right now the only work around that I can think of for
this would be to run two apches at the same time, one for SVN, and one for
the main HTTP server which is chrooted to block access to the SVN repos
and have the non chrooted server revere proxy connections to the chrooted
one.