security/deployment issue

Hi everybody,

i have a doubt about my security and deployment methods. Today i manage
several projects and these projects are versioned with subversion. My
environment is something like this:

1. The developer make some update in the source code of a project. (from
your IDE, generally netbeans)
2. The developer commit the modifications to the subversion server after
test it(sure).
3. The project manager sync the files from the dev server to the prod
server(using rsync).

Well, my questions are 2. All about the rsync:

1. For each project we have a ssh user that is used to sync the files(source
code) to the prod server. The problem that i see here is that for each
project i need to have a ssh account to sync these files. This is not so
cool because i need to have severals actived ssh accounts in my prod server.
I'm thinking about the root account to do this work. Is this a good
practice?

2. Does have some another way, more better than the rsync for this
deployment issue?

Thanks.

Augusto Morais