Re: Time Problem: always ten past xx

On 10/6/09 4:16 AM, "Mert Oztekin" <moztekin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> My mistake,
>
> I thought it was date() now strftime()
> Sorry
>
> (why do php developers create two different standarts for such similiar
> functions???☺ )

it's traditional to do so. it reminds me of the bit about subtly
incompatible shells in unix from "Real Programmers Don't Use Pascal":

"Even Unix might not be as bad on Real Programmers as it once was. The
latest release of Unix has the potential of an operating system worthy of
any Real Programmer-- two different and subtly incompatible user interfaces,
an arcane and complicated teletype driver, virtual memory. If you ignore the
fact that it's "structured", even 'C' programming can be appreciated by the
Real Programmer: after all, there's no type checking, variable names are
seven (ten? eight?) characters long, and the added bonus of the Pointer data
type is thrown in-- like having the best parts of Fortran and assembly
language in one place. (Not to mention some of the more creative uses for
#define.)"

we could collect a list:

gnu make vs bsd make
how many subtly different versions of grep are there?

but i'm, sure it's been done already and i guess it's off topic.