Re: sending HTML email

On Mon, 2009-10-05 at 10:27 -0400, John Corry wrote:

> I've inherited a PHP application, first task of which was relocating to a
> new server.
> We've installed and configured all of the files on a dedicated linux server
> at 1 and 1 (using qmail as an MTA).
>
> Since the move, the client is complaining that *some* of the recipients of
> the HTML email that the server sends out to all of the users are receiving
> plain HTML code in their mail clients...not the nice, rendered, styled
> content they intend.
>
> It looks fine to me.
>
> I found one small error in the HTML that was sent and fixed it (there may be
> more)...
>
> But the client is telling me that this is a new problem as of the server
> move.
>
> Any suggestions which direction to look to try to resolve this?

By any chance are the offending emails all being displayed on Outlook or
Outlook Express, specifically version 2002 (part of Office XP) If so,
then you may need to change any \r\n into \n only in the headers that
are being sent, which seemed to fix the issue for me. Seems that this
version of the software has major problems with both characters being
used as EOL markers.

Thanks,
Ash
http://www.ashleysheridan.co.uk