Re: RE: [Formaldehyde] The Most Basic Ajax - PHP Error Debugger

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 5:01 PM, Andrea Giammarchi <an_red@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hosting support, since it is 100% php with zero dependencies and zero config effort plus the ability do debug directly via console, unit testing via Selenium and/or others, and it does not require manual error catch after the generic problemi, since it will simply be showed on the client side.
>
> On the other hand, xdebug could offer a bit more such memory allocation, something could require APD if integrated with Formaldehyde (and it could be interesting, so I am not excluding I won't do it next release)
>
> Best Regards
>
> P.S. for others ... these kind of answers, questions, opinions, that IS what I was expecting
>
>> Date: Sun, 13 Sep 2009 13:52:11 -0400
>> From: oorza2k5@xxxxxxxxx
>> To: paulf@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> CC: php-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>> Subject: Re:  RE: [Formaldehyde] The Most Basic Ajax - PHP Error Debugger
>>
>> What does this offer that a real debugger, like xdebug, doesn't?
>>
>> --

> Share your memories online with anyone you want.
> http://www.microsoft.com/middleeast/windows/windowslive/products/photos-share.aspx?tab=1

The thing is, in a properly configured development environment, it's
local, so I can immediately read the logs, or just fire the script up
with xdebug, or the errors will get caught in the editor.  And I would
NEVER imagine publicly exposing error messages in a production
environment, so I'm just really confused as to what this offers, other
than some seemingly small benefit in readability, specifically in
firebug (and some other cruft that you really ought to remove, like
the X-Formaldehyde header).  And furthermore, this requires code
changes from development -> production, which is a problem I've always
had with FirePHP, too, as that information does not belong in a
production environment.  As far as support for shared hosting is
concerned, I've stated on this list several times that my firm opinion
is shared hosting is shooting yourself in the foot (especially as a
good VPS isn't that much more expensive, I'm paying $20/mo for mine).

I think you best summed up why so many on this list think Formaldehyde
isn't a very useful product yourself: the errors are shown on the
client side.  In theory, a good development environment already
exposes this information to the developer and things should fail a lot
more gracefully than error output for the user.  You said that this
project is something that doesn't already exist, perhaps you should
consider that it doesn't exist because a sane development cycle
precludes Formaldehyde's usefulness?