PDO with text in BLOB's

I'm having fun with a project that has moved exclusively to PDO, and I'm now trying to restore firebird as an alternative database. The problem I am having is with text fields in firebird which are BLOB SUB_TYPE TEXT. These are essentially TEXT in other databases, and I'm used to ADOdb simply loading them with text strings what ever the database is using behind them. On PDO it would seem that these fields can only be connected to streams? How does one load a simple long string into one of these fields?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL