Re: Creating alphanumeric id for a table

The reason why I used incremental value from the db is that I need a sequence
number generator that can be used as an argument to my function. If I can
generate sequence number myself, I don't need this incremental value from
db.
What I want is that the sequential alphanumeric id that increments it's
numeric value by one everytime a new record is inserted while the alphabet
part remains the same..(like I've shown before):
AAA0001
AAA0002
AAA0009
AAA0010
This id will be used as the application number that will be printed as a
barcode on the user's application form. The requirement says that the app
number is prefixed with the letters (actually it's not 'AAA' but 'FIN' which
stands for File Identification Number)....