Calendar tutorial

Dear PHP List Members,

First off I am well aware that I can go online and download a PHP script to
make a Calendar, it's not that I'm too cheap to buy the script it is that I
want to work through and fully understand what I have so that I am
intimately aware of every aspect of my project. What I really would like is
a tutorial that will teach me to write the script for a calendar (or at
least get me started) that will allow me to schedule various multi day
events and write the requests to a mySQL database. I would prefer something
that is PHP/ mySQL, HTML and CSS no flash or Java. If any one knows of a
site on the web I could find such a tutorial please let me know.

Many Thanks

Haig Vancouver BC