Re: PHP inserting carriage returns into POST values?

On Fri, Sep 04, 2009 at 12:16:47PM -0700, James Colannino wrote:

> Hey everyone.  I ran into a really weird issue that I was hoping I could
> find some clarification on.  In short, I have javascript functions that
> operate on hidden text values.  Those values may be posted, in which
> case PHP then prints them back to the page via what comes in on $_POST.
>
> The weird thing is, I was no longer able to match substrings inside
> those hidden text values after posting via Javascript.  I banged my head
> over this for a couple hours, until I realized that the string's length
> was being increased by one after posting (I found this out in
> javascript).  Upon further investigation, I found that all instances of
> "substring\n" were being replaced by "substring(carriage return)\n"
> after post.
>
> For now, I'm simply doing str_replace(chr(13), "", $_POST['value'])
> before re-inserting it into the HTML, but I was wondering why PHP is
> inserting those extra characters.

I don't know that this will help, but maybe it will provide a clue.
A textarea field will insert CRLF in its posted contents. You might
expect this to be governed by the platform the browser is running on,
but no. It inserts CRLF anyway.

Like I said, just a clue.

Paul

--