Re: Reading remote files

Are you actually having a problem with memory, or simply that you have
to transfer it over a network first? Depending on the protocol used, you
may be able to read it in chunks, but those chunks will still have to be
copied to the computer that is reading it before it can be processed.

The other option is to run a process in the computer where the file
resides and only send the results over the network.

Bob McConnell

We haven't actually had a problem yet, but we don't want to run a risk of a
server crash.  We want to be able to call this PHP function from a
standalone application that will get that particular chunk of data specified
and save it to the local drive.
But, so far, we have been told that any function we use (fopen/fread,
file_get_contents) will first load the entire file into memory.

As far as I know then, HTTP doesn't support entering files at points
specified by a remote user. A request is made for a file, and the server
determines how to break it up in order to send.

Apparently, with file_get_contents, you can specify an offset and a
datasize, but it still loads the whole file first.  Is this true?