RE: Reading remote files

From: Grace Shibley

> Is there a way to read large (possibly 500 MB) remote files without
> the whole file into memory?
> We are trying to write a function that will return chunks of binary
data
> from a file on our server given a file location, specified offset and
data
> size.
>
> But, we have not been able to get around loading the whole file into
memory
> first.  Is there a way to do this??

Are you actually having a problem with memory, or simply that you have
to transfer it over a network first? Depending on the protocol used, you
may be able to read it in chunks, but those chunks will still have to be
copied to the computer that is reading it before it can be processed.

The other option is to run a process in the computer where the file
resides and only send the results over the network.

Bob McConnell