Re: vote package

At 7:18 AM +1000 8/28/09, Noel Butler wrote:
On Thu, 2009-08-27 at 10:55 -0400, tedd wrote:

I think you'll run into exploitation problems regardless.

I'm getting that impression from the hours and hours I wasted yesterday prior to my post trying to find a good one :(

There's not going to be a system that blocks people from voting more than once UNLESS you require each person to register via a unique id, If that's the case, then you can collect valid one-person votes.

However, the net is not going to provide you with an unique ID. You can use an email address, which is unique, but anyone can have any number of email addresses and vote for each one.

You might try to use the reported IP of the submitter, again unique, but that can be forged -- so again anyone can vote more than once.

If the votes are not important, then you can get a fair estimate by using something like this:

http://php1.net/b/flash-poll/

However, if the vote is important (one person/one vote), then unfortunately there is no way to guarantee a one-person/one-vote system by using just the net. You must have someway to specifically identify the person voting, such as a driver license #, ss#, visa, or something you mailed them -- you can't rely on anything from the net.

Cheers,

tedd

--
-------